Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mucho Gusto

Mucho Gusto, which means its nice to meet you, is a phrase I have become very familiar with the last few days. It seems everywhere we go I have more people to meet!! I guess with a city of 24 million that is something I am going to have to get used to.

So far we have been to the Parish a few times, to the Guarderia for a visit and to San Angel to visit the main Sisters house. The Guarderia is great! I am really excited to work with my boss Paquita and with the "niños grandes" (big kids- ages 4 &5). The kids were all super friendly and didn't seem to mind at all that I was a white girl who barely knew spanish! Sometimes it can be a little uncomfortable sticking out so much, but I know that it will take a while for Santa Fe to get used to the new gringas.. Everyone has been pretty friendly and very welcoming to us.

Spanish has been challenging but not horrible. Some people I just cannot understand and others are crystal clear. I think once I am able to be on my own and know my way around I will actually speak more. The past few days Jess or Caro have been around to translate or help us. Lisa's spanish is coming along good too. Everyday a little more (poco a poco).

After 3 days I'm still kind of in Culture Shock. Life is different here and this is definitely not college anymore. Last night I just had a moment of, this really is going to be hard. Probably harder than anything I've done before. But the people are great and full of life. Santa Fe is really busy, lots of cars and narrow streets with lots of people.

This morning we went to Carolyn's work with the Missionaries of Charity (Mother Theresa's order) where they have a home for disabled and mentally handicapped girls. It was sad to see so many children who had been orphaned because of their disabilities. It shows how bad the stigma of Mental Illness and Disability really is... The girls just wanted to be hugged and played with. It was nice to be able to do that.

Today we head to the Market. It's supposed to be even bigger than the one from yesterday! I can't wait. I love eating all the fresh fruits and veggies! We are also having a party tonight!! I hope it will be fun!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey homie! I'm glad to read that you are well! I've never heard of paying to pee! Were the facilities clean at least? Haha!! Oh by the way, here is a one useful phrases: una cervasa porfavor.

    Mucho amor mi amigia! Hah did I spell that right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow my grammer is horrible! Its this iPhone! I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Era la diversión del partido?

    ReplyDelete