Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Living Simply- Circa February 20thish

For the first time in my life I walked through a market and realized that I could not afford to buy a single thing in there. And honestly, I did not like the feeling. And immediately I thought, is this how poor people feel? only, All the time?? I can't begin to imagine how "the poor" feel on a daily basis. And I realize, how much I've taken for granted. All the things I've been given. A stable home, food, presents for birthdays and holidays, even simple things like a new pair of shoes or a toothbrush. Things such as going to the movies or buying a treat, feeling like a waste of money and not an enjoyable thing, when you realize there are more important things to buy.

I am by no means trying to say that I am poor, but living on $80 a month has shown me a life that I really never knew before. Where sometimes at the end of the month sacrifices have to be made. When buying medicine takes away 1/4 of your month, money goes fast and luxuries start to get put on the back burner.

I must admit, I've always been the type of person that would choose a night with friends over a night in with a book. But here, it is proving difficult.

But this is the life I chose, possibly the life I will always have. To be in solidarity. To understand being grateful for food, a house and community. To remember the insignificance of money but knowing the importance of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment